Monday, November 17, 2008

Artist of the Week: Francisco Goya

Saturn Devouring His Son (1819)
At first glance, this piece appears to be very disturbing and saddistic. At second glance - well, it still is. But this painting can be interpreted in many meaninful ways. Is it young vs. old? Time vs. youth? Power vs. helplessness? What we do know is that Goya created this piece during the later years of his life and he and his own son may not have been on the best of terms at the time.
What's your interpretation? Have any more Goya favorites? Respond and I'll post an image.
P.S. This is my fiance's iPhone screen saver. He's weird...I know.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, that is the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. I don't think I like it. Just not my style. I'll keep a look out for the next artist of the week. Maybe it will be Kandinsky ; )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...