Monday, October 31, 2011

Book Review: Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts


I truly believe that I'm one of the few women of my generation who was lucky enough to have my grandmother, mother and aunt pass along the craft of sewing. I have vivid memories of them creating their own outfits for parties and even a coronation gown for me as a child. I also remember how elated I was getting my first sewing kit for Christmas along with Barbie outfit patterns and sitting (on my bed, the couch, the floor -- wherever I could find space and peace) for hours hand stitching clothes and little plastic fasteners. I gleamed with pride as I showcased my finished pieces. Next, I graduated to the plastic kiddie sewing machine, which I never mastered, but never tired of trying. Then, in middle school I fell for floss and the cross-stitch, which led me to embroidery.

So, you can imagine that last year when Martha Stewart announced her new book, Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts,  I could not contain myself. Not only do I have an affinity for sewing, but I also love almost everything Martha touches!

The book is packed with great projects for sewing novices and those who are more advanced. It starts with a thorough introduction of sewing basics, including an overview of tools, materials and fabric. Next, it moves into stitch types and techniques, before providing step by step instructions, templates and patterns for more than 150 projects. Curtains, dolls, pillows -- the list goes on and on.

My first project from the book was...you guessed it. Embroidery! You can see my colorful bird in the first photo above. My next feat? Chair covers for some of my eBay and Country Living Fair finds. I'll post pics when I'm done.

I definitely recommend Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts for all crafters and anyone that wants to discover the joy of sewing. Do any of you own it? If so, what sewing-related projects have you been inspired to complete?

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Another book for me to covet! I'm not sure how I missed the existence of this one. I'll add it to my Amazon wish list. Your bird is so cute! I used to do embroidery a little as a child, but I haven't touched it in years. And I don't really know how to sew, but I have a sewing machine and would love some inspiration to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christy! It's definitely worth the buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are sooo many great books out there aaaawwww where to start. Martha Stewart is def a GREAT one. Thanks for your review!!! Must admit, I am not a sewer but looking at craft projects is soooo inspiring!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...